I used a polycotton for the Dress Cap I made (in navy, as I am white-haired
now, and white lace would not show up !! )
I did not enjoy using the thread, as it did not want to stay in the hitch
around the bobbin!, but otherwise the finished product turned out very well .
the best part is that it never creases, so I can just pull it out of the case
I keep it in, (with other doilies, neck tie etc) and wear it.  A cotton lace
piece would need ironing, but not the Polycotton piece!

I have used 50 Aurofil for Needlelace (and won a prize for it!) and it was
really nice to use. I did a small piece of Gros Point type, and the sheen just
enhances the work.
I found the 28 weight Aurofil rather loosely spun, and only tried it for
bobbin Lace.  I did not like it a lot.
Regards from Liz. In sunny Melbourne, Oz.