What differentiates one from another?! To prepare for some lace study visits, I
am making samples of Bucks, Devon Trolly, Downton & Malmesbury plus a few items
from the Luton Museum lace dealer’s pattern book. As I was leafing thru several
books, I stopped dead in my tracks. Some patterns looked very similar to Little
pea, plum pudding & maids in a row—except I wasn’t looking at a book on Bucks!
Say what!?! It made me wonder, if these lace samples were all spread out on a
table, how would they be identified? Thread—they all seem to be cotton (so
far). Thread weight—some seem a bit finer. Individual motifs—there’s definitely
a lot of crossover in shapes & fillings. Bucks seems to feature more florals,
otherwise the geometric components are highly similar. Multiple grounds are
mentioned but is this the defining feature of each? Or is it the combination of
shapes/motifs that separates Luton from Bucks etc? What Am I missing in my
first cursory observations? Sugge!
 stions are welcome. Many thanks. Sincerely, Susan Hottle, Florida USA

Sent from my iPad