Got it! Just seems like some waste would have been involved by having what
would amount to "raw ends", start & finish. From an economic standpoint,
preventing any waste of completed lace would have been desirable, hence my
question. The start of my sample didn't look tidy & if I was the customer, I
would not want to pay for that first bit. That's a loss to the lace dealer, the
lacemaker or both. On the other hand, maybe the "bobbin clump" start would be
more aesthetically pleasing in the hands of a more experienced lacemaker! LOL
It would be interesting to see a demonstration of this lace using a bolster. So
far, no Downton lace on YouTube...  Sincerely, Susan Hottle FL,USA

---- Jane Partridge <mous...@live.co.uk> wrote:

How we hang in or finish off our lace has little relevance to those days, when
lace was made and time wasted meant less bread on the table.

Jane Partridge