bobbins. Lovely--now everyone can see what real Downton is supposed to look
like! I received a nice email from Pompi Parry in which she pointed out some
technical differences in Downton lace. She noted distinct differences in purl
pins (picots) & in valleys. She also suggested plaiting to create a neater &
more secure start. This is very helpful as I continue my samples. If lacemaking
represents a series of problem solving exercises, it is interesting to note how
many different solutions were achieved by lacemakers in competing areas. My
first Malmesbury strips are finished & posted to Flickr. Heads up--if you make
#2 Ladder Braid, start with the stitch for the inside pin rather than following
the instructions verbatim. Ask me how I know! Otherwise, I had never made
square tallies & these were in the center of strip #3 Ba!
 sket Filling. (Basket Filling is Malmesbury-speak for little tallies.) My leaf
tallies are wonky but at least the cloth stitch start holds them together. It
was fiddly to get the square ones started & I finally poked in two temporary
pins to corral the pairs because the cotton thread was too slippery to get
going. For me, that is a benefit of linen thread--it is slightly "sticky" &
threads tends to hug each other. Not so with 140 cotton! If anyone has a
suggestion for taming a square tally start without temp pins, please share as
I'm concerned that this may not be the correct approach & will come back to
bite me in an area of point ground. Many thanks. Sincerely, Susan Hottle FL,
USA