Hello Sue,
I've got over 100 antique
Malmesbury bobbins in both versions - with neck or tapered.  They are
all straight and blunt ended.  None were converted to take spangles,
which you sometimes see on very old, tiny, lightweight bobbins or
continentals sold to the English market in days gone by.
They
 average 100 mm. in length and vary from  4 to 6 mm. diameter.  The
bobbins with a neck were obvously used with extremely fine thread as the
 gap on most of them is only 10mm.  You wouldn't get much Cordonnet 40
on them!  I wonder when fashions altered,  if the change to heavier lace
 and slightly thicker thread caused the tapered style, as it would be
possible to wind on much more thread without the collar.
There
 is only simple decoration on the shank, mostly turned rings, although
the collar may have a little shaping.  Only three bobbins show signs of
extra embelishment; one has a few pokerwork dots near the tail end;
another has been slashed and the third covered with a thin layer of gold
 paint.
I also have half a dozen Malmesbury
gimp bobbins.  They are thicker, about 9mm. diameter, and longer,
varying between 100mm. and 108mm.  One is still wound with gimp thread,
and all have a neck which measures about 15mm.
These
 bobbins are lovely to use; they are so smooth and have the patina of
many years use.  I would recommend a Honiton type pillow so that the
bobbins can hang down vertically.  They will roll too much on a mushroom
 pillow.
If you would like some photos, please let me know.
With all good wishes,Liz Passin Poole, Dorset, where it's still dull and very
mild for the time of year.