The plexiglas winder is very compact and good for transporting to classes, etc.
 It's designed for Midlands bobbins but has an adapter for continentals.

 Mine worked very well for many years -- but then the elastic bands that
provide the tension wore out.  Replacing them with the right size bands in the
USA is a problem.  It's very hard to find ones that fit.  This makes the winder
less useful now than it used to be.  It will work on some bobbins but not
others.  The current bands I have don't like slick bobbins, or continentals.

For most of my winding, I use an old German metal winder that clamps on a table
edge.  It has wood pincers that hold most bobbins.  For skinny bobbins that
might slip, I wind a small elastic band around one pincer.  This adds enough
traction to hold even slick Midlands tightly.

One of my students recently got a new plastic model that seems to work very
well.   Check out your dealers.  They might have a similar item available or
can look for it for you.

Alice in Oregon --where I'm just getting started on my two month tax office
job.  I'll be busy until April 15.  But -- since my work is easy, I get to make
lace at work during the quiet times.  Can't beat that -- making lace and
getting paid at the same time.