Dear Historians - especially those new to the study of Lace,
The New York Times article from Devon leads me to recommend a book about the
period when Rembrandt was painting.  Devon mentions Sweden's king and the
wearing of a red ribbon to secure the end of a thin braid.  This is very
clearly depicted in the book Knipling.Lace.Spitz about Christian IV and Bobbin
Lace, which came with a separate folio of lace patterns from the 1600's, with
adaptations for use today.  Published in 2001, in Denmark, ISBN
87-988400-0-2.  Larger lace guilds may have book and folio in their
libraries.
Everyone interested in lace history of northern Europe, when national
boundaries were very different from today, should become familiar with this.
It contains many originals and adaptations of lace patterns in color, but that
is not all.  It came with a separate large folio of lace patterns.  You can
recreate royal period laces for yourself or period costumes!  The cover of
the book shows Danish King Christian IV (1577-1648) with a braid and red
ribbon.  His lace collar over royal robes and jewels is spectacular.

I would love to own a book of this quality published by Dutch lace experts -
focused on Rembrandt's paintings of lace.  Please!  Please!  Does such a
book exist?
Christian IV's sister, Anne of Denmark, was married to James the I (of
England) and VI (of Scotland) son of Mary, Queen of Scots.  Queen Anne is
featured in the 2013 book - In Fine Style, The Art of Tudor and Stuart Fashion
- by Anna Reynolds, 978-1-905686-44-5.  This book includes chapters devoted
to royal male fashions and laces.  Another informative book for costume
scholars is the 2008 book - Merchants, Princes and Painters, Silk Fabrics in
Italian and Northern Paintings 1300-1550 - by Lisa Monnas,
978-0-300-11117-0.  Lace and silk were exclusive to royalty and the most
wealthy and powerful families in Europe.  Enjoy your research.
There is so little appearing on Arachne these days, that I have left the
letter Devon wrote attached to this for those who might like to make a copy to
put with the article in your files or enclose in referenced books.
As usual, I've sent bcc's to my private list of gmail users.  If someone will
comment on this memo, then the vast majority using gmail will know to look at
http://www.mail-archive.com/lace@arachne.com/index.html to find it.
Jeri Ames in Maine USALace and Embroidery Resource Center
In a message dated 3/4/2019 3:56:36 PM Eastern Standard Time,