Hi Susan,
For basics I’m thinking some sparkly metallic threads or beads may have some
appeal since we taught basics to a group of eight adults recently. They found
half stitch to be a bit challenging until someone mentioned Chantilly lace is
based on that very stitch. Someone started singing the song Chantilly Lace and
they all started singing it! We were encouraged, Jocelyn in Winnipeg, Canada

Sent from my iPhone

> On Apr 2, 2019, at 8:18 AM, Susan <hottl...@neo.rr.com> wrote:
>
> Thank you for your opinions Clay & Gabriele. You could have knocked me over
> with a feather when I read AB’s quote! We all have preferences so it’s only
> natural that one—or more—styles of lace winds up at the bottom of someone’s
> list. The same is true for music, literature, whatever. With apologies in
> advance to our Arachne musicologists, a half hour of Bach is a half hour too
> much for ME! To be fair, my class with Jane Atkinson did open my eyes to more
> options with Torchon & I think I would benefit from another class or two to
> see where that leads. In the meantime, I am working on lace that offers
> greater aesthetic appeal (for me) or piques my curiosity. It’s much easier to
> learn something you embrace wholeheartedly. Torchon clearly affects people
> differently & it nearly derailed my own journey. At this point, my personal
> goal is to reverse the negative effects of “Torchon teaching” for a friend
> who was interested in learning Beds. After months of being bor!
 ed!