I am so glad that Susan and Sue enjoyed Pierre's class and the visit to the
Ratti. It was great fun. I found Pierre's lecture about his work
fascinating. I have to say that I was interested to hear about how an
artist who supports himself with his art interacts with his gallery. I
especially enjoyed the story about how after making a large artwork using
dice as the unit of construction, his gallery asked him to do another one.
It was a reminder about how artists need to sell their work, and galleries
need to have work that people will buy. One of my objectives in the Lace,
not Lace show was to publicize the artists with the hope that galleries,
collectors and sales would follow, since an artist has to live on
something.
Hearing about Pierre's process in transforming a brush painting of a crow
into a lace work, an exercise he performed specifically for this class to
demonstrate how he works was quite illuminating. The sampler was well
conceived to take you through a number of design challenges. I have to say
that I did not progress as far as I could have with the sampler because at
a certain point I was making reservations at restaurants and adding new
people, and contemplating the intricacies of getting everyone into the
Ratti via a variety of transportation, including a car pool. Thank you to
our intrepid drivers!
The first night, the Hunterdon Art Museum was holding one of its pop-up
dinners which are fundraisers, and Pierre was a special guest. These
dinners are very nice, held in the gallery and catered by a local caterer.
I realize that the hundred dollar price tag was a deterrent to many of the
participants who opted instead for a simple meal, but for that quality of
food, and wine and no additional tax and tip, it is actually a bit of a
bargain for the New York/New Jersey area and those of us who attended
enjoyed the event, with the end of the table occupied by the Brooklyn Lace
Guild being the most jolly half. The following night my husband and I
planned to take Pierre to the Clinton House Inn, an historic inn dating to
the 1700s which was once a stage coach stop and is located just across the
historic bridge from the museum.  Mentioning this plan to others in the
class as an option the reservation quickly grew and in the end I think we
were 16 for dinner. They gave us our own room and there was a lot of energy
as people discussed the class. The following night I had thought that those
of us who were traveling back to Clinton by car should sit out the traffic
in Caffe Grazie, an Italian restaurant near the Metropolitan Museum where
my husband and I often wait out the traffic. Once again the guest list
exploded and the two tables of 6 that had been reserved for us had to have
additional chairs brought by the willing wait staff. In all these dinners a
state of high hilarity prevailed. It has always been my dream to have the
equivalent of a salon where people who are interested in lace art are able
to socialize and interact and I feel like this was certainly one of the
highlights. Of course, we all knew each other from previous lace courses
with many people having memories of visiting Ithaca for the annual Finger
Lakes Lace Guild weekend for decades.
The Brooklyn Lace Guild held their monthly meeting on April 13th and Pierre
was able to attend. We had our usual wine fueled fun, with me bringing
items of 17th and 18th century lace from my collection which we were able
to view with the Olloclip, a magnifier that clips to your phone. The beauty
of looking at non-museum lace is the opportunity to put the magnifier
directly on it. One of the members had seen Pierre's work that was on
display in New York in 2014, which was pleasant. Pierre had never been to
New York, but his work had, and was known.
Today, the Brooklyn Lace Guild is going to have a viewing of lace at the
Ratti which was actually planned before Pierre came. But since, Pierre is
still in town, he will join us. Then, if I understand correctly, we will
move in an unruly mass onward to the Guggenheim museum which is open late
tonight to see an exhibit of the work of a pioneering woman artist Hilma af
Klint which is unrelated to lace.
Living my best life...
Devon
PS. I am told by Pierre and Marjorie, the director of the Hunterdon Art
Museum, that they want to do this again next year! Pierre is thinking about
how to design a course that will be interesting to those people who took
this year's course as well as newcomers.