Dear Malvery
Ha, Ha,
Well, being the actual person behind the quote, I was responding to Brian’s
question in a previous post, concerning how low paid workers got their hands on
high end bobbins.
I agree with you that the usual material was bone. Ivory however was available
via Kenya, South Africa, and other African areas the British Empire went (oh
dear, we can’t forget India!) Anyway, we can’t discount the probability that
ivory bobbins did and may still exist.
The main gist of the conversation was that there very likely was a class of
bobbin buyers who were landed gentry, had more coin to spend on upper end
bobbins and basically made lace as a leisure not as income.

Cearbhael

Sent from my iPhone