About 20 years ago I received a question about whether lace was being made
in Colonial Spanish America. I did not know the answer. I asked a curator
at he Hispanic Society. He didn’t know, but he said it was very likely
because the Spanish tended to set up these industries in their colonies. I
asked another scholar at the Met about this and she said it would have to
be researched in the Codexes. She was involved in a show, The Colonial
Andes: Tapestries and Silverwork, 1530-1830. The show was very striking for
the sophistication of the craftsmanship in the tapestries, as well as the
Silver. Also there were many paintings showing people in Spanish America
wearing lace.

Today, on my Instagram stream I was treated to an image from a textile
conservator that really caught my attention. It was from the Codex of
Martinez Companon. The conservator says it is part of a manuscript sent to
the king of Spain in the late 18th century. The information about it, in
the index, says Mestiza de Valles texiendo trensilla. This seems to mean
Mestizo woman weaving braid. Does this show a woman making bobbin lace?
What do people think about this?

Here is the link:

http://www.cervantesvirtual.com/obra-visor/trujillo-del-peru--volumen-ii/html
/966bf129-a181-4dd1-996b-ac44db7844e2_110.html

Devon