Thank you Laurie. I have seen people in Burano making needle lace and I
think it is as you describe. At the time I thought it was odd, but I wasn't
really processing what I was seeing.
I guess I have done my part to expand the confusion by translating Vieux
Flandre to Old Flanders. Yes, it is a catch all term as you say, referring
to early Flemish laces before they diverged into distinctly different
kinds.
In her book, Guide to Lace and Linens, Kurella calls the lace, the one with
Rosaline type flowers, but a needle mesh, Vieux Flandre.
She says: The translation of Vieux Flandre is "Old Flanders". The name
appears in Belgian lace shop books but rarely in textbooks. The most likely
explanation for the name is that by the nineteenth century, techniques and
names had been recycled so many times that merchants were running out of
unique names for these combinations. The lace is a unique combination of
bobbin and needle lace, and deserves a label. "Belgian Stew" is
descriptive, but not glamorous enough.
Then I saw in my book on Liederkerke that they were calling this
Oud-Vlaamse, which would be Flemish for Vieux Flandre. I am going to post
two pages from Ghislaine Eemans-Moors book where she describes the Vieux
Flandre that was made near Aalst and Liederkerke. These are near Zele which
is famous for needle lace.
I am intrigued by Punto Milano. I haven't found it in the first three books
I have looked at. Do you have a source that you know of? Also, why do you
think the ffloral terminations look Italian, like Cantu?
Devon