Hi Karisse

Lace workers never bothered to count bobbins, even the ones that could.
Instead they would wind a handful and start working. When they ran out they
would wind another handful and carry on, the same with gimps. Also, the number
of bobbins needed varied when making floral Bucks according to the density you
are looking for in the work and what you feel like at the time. Today we use
comparatively finer thread and add and throw out bobbins to obtain the density
of clothwork that we individually want. I once made a fan and, as I reached
the widest point, ran out of bobbins. I phoned a bobbin maker and explained my
dilemma and he made some and sent them to me. I had to explain why I needed 2
dozen. Making bobbins was Jim Newman,s hobby when he retired and, if you
ordered a large number they never arrived. When he sent them he apologised
that the wood was flawed and I could return them if I was not happy. The wood
was spelt beech, i.e. they had black flecks caused by fungus in them. The
flaws only make these bobbins special to me. I always remember Jim and my fan
when I use them.

Keep lacemaking

Alex