My first thought about Devon's lace was "that's Beveren lace."  The lace does
have large holes like Tonder, but it also has cloth stitch flowers with large
central holes much like Beveren.  Beveren lace also has a straight headside
like Devon's lace. For those of you interested in large holes in Point Ground,
In addition to Bobbi's book, there are five variations of point ground holes
in Ulrike Voelcker's Grammar of Point Ground, p. 119.

In this lace, the two fillings in the large oval shapes (I could not clearly
see the oval with the tallies) are very unusual.  Beveren fillings generally
include honeycomb and snowflakes. There is honeycomb in some of the smaller
motifs but I couldn't find information on the fillings in the large ovals.  I
went through various filling and ground books with no luck.

The four- and six-petal half-stitch flowers are also atypical of either Tonder
or Beveren. The method of working the flower petals is more like French point
ground laces.   Bobbi - correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think you see much
half stitch in Tonder??

Like Bobbi, I also think this is a mixed-techniques lace.  I think maybe they
were making lace for one of the traditional caps worn in Holland, Belgium or
France, and they designed the lace with a variety of techniques that they knew
or wanted to try. (See the OIDFA study on Dutch Folk costumes that also
documents Beveren lace techniques-Kant aan de mutsen van Zuid-Beveland)

This is a very interesting piece of point ground lace.

Jo Ann

Jo Ann Eurell
Palm Coast, FL
Email: jeure...@hotmail.com<mailto:jeure...@hotmail.com>