> On 30 May 2020, at 21:36, Devon Thein <devonth...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Would one consider a piece of French needle lace with a Brides
> tortillee mesh to be Alencon or Argentan? Also, I don't really understand
> how it was made. With Alencon, you do needle lace stitches across a row,
> then you whip back. But in the case of the Brides tortillee all the sides
> are whipped. Is there an easy and logical way to do this? It is supposed to
> be a time saver.

Devon,
I can’t remember now who told me about ‘La dentelle à l’aiguille’ by Brigitte
Delesques Dépalle but in this she describes both  the Argentan and tortillée
mesh being made on a grid of laid threads. I have tried it (rather larger than
it would have been worked) and it does look right. And it’s certainly easier
than working stitches and then whipping or buttonholing over them. If you’re
interested I can send you an photo of my effort.
Jean