On Sat, Aug 29, 2009 at 12:19 PM, Toby Inkster<m...@tobyinkster.co.uk> wrote:
> [This message probably won't reach foaf-dev as I'm subscribed to that list
> using a different e-mail address... for hysterical raisins.]
>
> On 29 Aug 2009, at 08:57, Dan Brickley wrote:
>
>> OK here's a concrete proposal  in more depth - "Dockable".
>
> Sounds like a good idea in principle.
>
>> I'd like my photo URLs at http://photos.danbri.org or
>> http://flickr.danbri.org, rather than at http://flickr.com, however
>> much I love Flickr. I'd like my music profile and playlists to be at
>> http://music.danbri.org/ instead of at http://last.fm/danbri, and I'd
>> to be able to microblog using http://status.danbri.org/ rather than
>> http://identi.ca/danbri.
>
> For sites such as these which are currently "undockable", there is the
> option of setting up these subdomains and performing an HTTP 302 redirect.
> Unless told though, people would probably keep using the flickr.com, etc
> domain names which linking to them.

Yup. This is something I hope we'll see more of, in terms-of-service
documents: commitments from the service provider about how long, and
in what way, they'll facilitate forwarding. Having played with
purl.org lately I reckon there are quite a few options even here -
partial redirects, redirects with transformations, etc.

>> Being "docked" - online or off - has many advantages, so many that in
>> the real world, undocking and moving your boat elsewhere can be a big
>> hassle.
>
> One such that immediately springs to mind it that if you did decide to point
> photos.danbri.org from Flickr to a different service, you'd probably still
> break a lot of URLs because the other service would almost certainly use a
> different URL structure.

Yup. We lack conventions for documenting site-layout patterns. Some
sites are relatively clean in their layout, and so could be ported
directly, or transformed to other patterns. Others are ... pretty
chaotic, with all kinds of corner case. But these patterns are slowly
being documented and semi-standardised, as trends emerge.

http://bitworking.org/projects/URI-Templates/spec/draft-gregorio-uritemplate-03.html
might have some value for documenting site structure.

>> Dockable  microblogging - so what's the story here for StatusNet and
>> microblogging?
>
> As I understand it -- and I'm not claiming to speak for StatusNet/status.net
> -- that's sort of the idea of status.net (which is not to be confused with
> StatusNet). It's going to be a hosting platform for microblogging sites at
> your choice of domain name. At any point you could presumably get a dump of
> the data, pull it into a different installation of StatusNet and repoint the
> domain name at your new installation.

Yep, I'm interested in Evan's feedback on this. From what I read about
status.net's business angle, the initial idea is that a company (who
want a twitteresque experience, but under their control), or a
pre-existing online community, or a product/brand ... these might set
up a hosted installation of the StatusNet code, with hundreds or
thousands of user accounts all managed within the same domain /
namespace. This is great and I have no doubt there are many businesses
willing to pay for something like this to be integrated with their
internal contacts or staff directory, to improve information flow
internally, or their public online presence. My suggestion is that
there is also a role for a more fine-grained hosting mechanism, where
different domains are used for each user account, rather than for each
"site". Perhaps this is also part of the status.net plan, I don't know
:)

Oh, one thought about the @ conventions... - perhaps the Open
Microblogging spec (or just social conventions) should make "." a
reserved/significant character when it matches a regex like (excuse
the poor i18n, this is just rough)     /@[A-Zaz\.]+\s/ ... ie. to
allow domain names preceded by @ to be used when addressing people. So
@tobyinkster.co.uk might be way to identify you, @danbri.org could be
me. Or is that confusing 'cos it looks too much like email? But it can
help address the ambiguity problem; @scobleizer.com would be Robert
Scoble's nick everywhere, without having to have him set up accounts,
or reclaim accounts, on ever new microblogging service. This is of
course related to the OpenID discussions, and the account uri scheme
proposal -
http://www.hueniverse.com/hueniverse/2009/08/making-the-case-for-a-new-acct-uri-scheme-for-accounts.html
- ideally people would own at least some of the domain names they use
as openids, in which case, keeping them short makes sense. But this is
all a side topic; there are issues with federated @-messaging that
need to be addressed regardless of the dockability/dns story...

Thanks for the feedback,

Dan