<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<--->>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
          <<  Lancair Builders' Mail List  >>
          <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<--->>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

My Pressurized FB Door had a warning label on the interior panel that stated
that the bolt installation and torque should be verified by the installer.
This, I discovered, was there for a good reason.

While deepening the countersinking of the screw holes for the door latches,
I discovered two screws that were so short that the fiber-lock portion of
the nuts were barely engaged.  Upon further inspection I found that the
screws could not be lengthened because they would then interfere with the
chain sprocket operation.

I replaced the AN365 nuts with MS21042-3's.  This allowed at least 1 thread
showing after torque and still clearance for the chain and sprocket.

The two affected screws are on the bottom-most latch of the side latches
(not the three bottom latches).  Buried under the chain and sprocket (in a
most inaccessible location) is the target nut and screw.  You'll have to
"unhook" (but not remove) the chain to get at the nut.

I checked this out with another builder who hasn't yet installed his FB
door.  Sure enough, his were in the same condition as mine.

It might be a good idea to check this out before you get stuck in your plane
because a nut came loose and jammed the door mechanism.

Hal

LML website:   http://www.olsusa.com/mkaye/maillist.html
LML Builders' Bookstore:   http://www.buildersbooks.com/lancair

Please send your photos and drawings to [EMAIL PROTECTED]