<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<--->>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
          <<  Lancair Builders' Mail List  >>
          <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<--->>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

> > It is legal. Now, is it smart?
>
> I disagree.  During my training, approximately 33 hours was spent under the
> hood, 1.5 hours in actual, and about 10 hours on the simulator.  BUT, I
> couldn't have told you, during that 34.5 hours in the plane, whether or not
> I was in actual.

Actually, as being "almost a virgin" in this matter I tend to agree with Jeff.
My single IMC experience came for about an hour in the right seat of a C-182.
I was amazed at the total elimination of reference.  I've got 6-7 hours of hood
time and it was nothing like it.  Even though I knew the mechanicals and most
of the procedures, the sensations were startling.  Under the hood, no matter
how well you adjust it, you can still see a bit of the world out of the corner
of your eyes, at least enough to know if you are right side up or up side
down.  Plus, under the hood, you know that at anytime, you can just flip it up
and be back to "normal".  That psychological difference alone is enough to
minimize any sense of real stress and let you give your full concentration to
what you're doing.

The only experience I've had that can even remotely compare to this has been
skiing in completely white-out conditions.  Such white-out that you could not
discern the snow you were standing on giving you a noticeable sense of vertigo,
and literally not even knowing if you were moving or standing still.  As soon
as you'd get lower on the mountain to where the fog thinned enough to be able
to see the snow beneath you, the whole situation changed.  You still couldn't
see the guys you are skiing with or upcoming pitch changes of the slope (cliffs
and cornices), but at least you could get your bearings and know that you are
standing up straight.  Thats my perspective of the difference between real IMC
and under the hood.

Anyway, the fact is that in my part of the world, an IMC day that is not also
accompanied by 30kt+ winds, major wave formation, and very serious turbulence
is extremely rare.  If I want my instrument ticket, so I can travel, its most
likely going to have to be earned exclusively under the hood.  (Thank you for
your answers telling me that this is even legal) Then, once that's done, and
before I go venture into true IMC on my own, I'll go spend a week or two
somewhere like Seattle (no offense) where I can count on getting an additional
5-6 hours with an instructor in the real stuff.

I think that's a reasonable compromise.  If anyone out there less "virginized"
than myself disagrees, I'm still happy to listen.

Andy
LML Bookstore
http://buildersbooks.com/lancair

eCharts
http://eCharts.cc

LML website:   http://www.olsusa.com/mkaye/maillist.html
LML Builders' Bookstore:   http://www.buildersbooks.com/lancair

Please send your photos and drawings to [EMAIL PROTECTED]