<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<--->>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
          <<  Lancair Builders' Mail List  >>
          <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<--->>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Turbocharged LIV drivers,

During annual conditional inspection I found both turbo impellers damaged.
The culprit was an uncontrolled alternate air door.  The .048 safety wire
linkage described in the construction manual had failed at the alternate air
door control horn.  Thus the alternate air door was probably wide open and
sucking all kinds of garbage off the runway during takeoff roll.

So both turbos are out for repair and the alternate air door has a new
linkage made from some spare MAC servo clevices.  A better solution would be
a couple of snap swivels similar to the ones used on the nose gear door
linkage, but somewhat smaller.

The alternate air door light did not come on because it is mounted on the
controller.  It will be moved to sense the position of the door rather than
the controller.

The failure occurred somewhere between 100 and 170 hours of operation.

If your installation followed the construction manual a check of its
condition might be of interest.

Merrill Smith

LML website:   http://www.olsusa.com/mkaye/maillist.html
LML Builders' Bookstore:   http://www.buildersbooks.com/lancair

Please send your photos and drawings to [EMAIL PROTECTED]