<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<--->>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
          <<  Lancair Builders' Mail List  >>
          <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<--->>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Posted for "scott turner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

Recently as I recall there had been some discussion about problems with
gear doors not closing properly and the problem was traced to the sliders.

On 9-18-01 Lancair put out a service bulletin # SB061-0918 saying the 1/8"
thick slider should be replaced with one that is 1/4" thick. On the blue
line print enclosed with the SB a callout NYLON points to the slider. As I
recall 1/8" nylon was called out for the slider on the original print.

I confirmed that the slider material supplied in the kit is low density
polyethylene, a far, far weaker and softer material than nylon. Furthermore
in the directions for the new 1/4" thick nylon slider it calls out for a
sharp bend to form the ramp. The fact is, nylon is hard to bend. This leads
me to wonder if the new slider will be polyethylene as well.

I also wonder, were the original sliders nylon and somewhere along the way
the plastic got inadvertently switched?  Or was it fora good reason?  It is
a whole lot easier to replace a 1/8" part for another than cut out and
replace for a 1/4" part.

Today I spoke with someone at Lancair technical and he was unaware of the
SB but said he would look into the matter. I will pass on what I learn and
if someone KNOWS they have nylon sliders and they have been working well,
let us know.

Thanks   IVP  80%

LML website:   http://www.olsusa.com/mkaye/maillist.html
LML Builders' Bookstore:   http://www.buildersbooks.com/lancair

Please send your photos and drawings to [EMAIL PROTECTED]