<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<--->>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
          <<  Lancair Builders' Mail List  >>
          <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<--->>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Gerard, You certainly brought back memories.  I finished up my Lancair 320
in Southern California (Chino) finally got the hours flown off.  I was
commuting via hwy 5 between Folsom and Chino, 400 miles, during that time. I
could do it in 6 hours in my Camero averaging 70 mph.

On the first flight up from Southern California (my first landing other than
at Chino) to Cameron Park I bounced, went around and landed.  I found I had
rolled the ends of the constant speed propeller and bent the u-bracket for
the front tire until it could just barely roll.

The good news was there is great FBO at Cameron Park, Main Air.  Avemco gave
them the go ahead right away.  They pulled the engine and prop and sent them
both out, they received them back and reinstalled both.  They were quick and
did great work.  They made sure it was totally ready to go, signed off the
log book and returned it to me.   I think the time was still almost as long
as yours, maybe a couple of months shorter.

But now I am afraid to fly the airplane!  I found a CFI who got me to the
point that I could solo again.  I Did about 25 landings over at Lincoln,
worked at trying to stabilize my pattern and get the speeds under control.
Then a friend flew his RV out from TX and flew with me.  With his help we
extended the control stick about two inches and adjusted the elevator trim
so that I could trim for 85kts.  He put a little red dot on the airspeed
indicator at 85kts, He also helped me with some heating problems that I was
having.

Since Rick was here last year, he came for the air races, I have made the
following flights.  One to Oklahoma, then up to Tennessee and back to
California, One to Boise ID, One to Arlington WA, Oshkosh (got to do the
showcase) Fullerton CA and Saturday I flew to Chino, over to Ontario and
then back home on Sunday. The trip now takes two hours, that used to take 6
in the Camero.  I now have approx 160 hours on the airplane and finally feel
comfortable taking someone up with me.

I try to always do the complete pattern, I always get the speed under
control,  I always drop the gear on down wind at mid field, I  always do the
GUMPS check at least three times, I always make sure the flaps are all in on
final.  I also swear by the Tim Ong De Boingers!

I enjoyed your article, good luck on getting back in the air.

Gary Melton
N320GG Cameron Park

LML website:   http://www.olsusa.com/mkaye/maillist.html
LML Builders' Bookstore:   http://www.buildersbooks.com/lancair

Please send your photos and drawings to [EMAIL PROTECTED]