<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<--->>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
          <<  Lancair Builders' Mail List  >>
          <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<--->>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Posted for "Edmond de Chazal" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

I cringed at the report of a prop strike on landing recently relayed here.
My own experience is that I get much better landings with the flaps set at
about 60% of their full travel. This way the plane is easier to flair into
a nose high position so that I can touch down on the mains first. With full
flaps, it is easy to touch down on the nose wheel first, which kicks the
nose up causing a balloon back into the air. You are also tempted to push
over to get the plane back down, putting the prop at risk. On the other
hand, the real problem is coming in with too much speed with full flaps
since you should be able to hold it off with full flaps till the speed
drops, the nose comes up, and the = mains touch down.

So, I suggest landing with about half flaps for now until you get the feel
of setting it down properly on the mains. I fly the pattern at 85 to 90 kts
(my AOA sport shows the second yellow light at 80-85 kts depending on
conditions). Then feed in more flaps and slow it down to 80 kts as you get
comfortable. Keep power in until the flair starts then pull it off, all
off. I was keeping some power in throughout the flare initially but found
this simply delayed touch down and consumed a lot of runway.

We heard a report some time ago from a fellow that flew a steep and slow
approach and was unable to flair before striking the runway and damaging
the landing gear and plane. I think he said he flew the approach at 80kts.
Because of this report, I've been keeping speed high, too high (I use 3000
feet of runway to land). My stall speed is 60 kts, so 1.3 times this is 78
kts which is where I believe I should be flying my approaches. This should
also give plenty of energy for a flair and will require far less runway.

I love to hear what others have found to work.

Regards, Ed de Chazal

LML website:   http://www.olsusa.com/mkaye/maillist.html
LML Builders' Bookstore:   http://www.buildersbooks.com/lancair

Please send your photos and drawings to [EMAIL PROTECTED]