: > As you can see from the command and wget output i limited the
 : > outgoing bandwidth to 100kbps but i am still getting 1Mbps. Is
 : > this what I am supposed to get or did I do some thing really stupid?
 :
 : yes, you limit the outgoing bandwidth,.. not the incomming ;)

What Jan is suggesting is that you might not understand what you'll need
to understand to get the shaping working as you desire.

[ I assume your "Internet connected router" is a Linux box.  If that's not
  accurate, then just assume where I say "Internet connected router" that
  I'm saying "the router/bridge you are using to shape Internet-bound
  traffic." ]

It's key that you understand that shaping only functions correctly on
transmitted packets (frames), so you'll need to make sure that you are
shaping the packets forwarded from your Internet connected gateway onto
the LAN.  This means that the gateway may well have the packet(s) already,
but it delays transmitting them to meet a certain bandwidth.

Shaping your outgoing traffic, which is mostly very small TCP ACK packets,
will do little to shape the much larger packets on the "download" side of
the stream.  Check out the rules I have written [0], the rules that Stef
has written [1], and maybe a tidbit about shaping [2].

Now, do you understand why you need to shape the packets transmitted from
your Internet connected router to your internal hosts?

-Martin

 [0] http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Traffic-Control-HOWTO/rules.html
 [1] http://www.docum.org/stef.coene/qos/faq/cache/9.html
 [2] http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Traffic-Control-HOWTO/elements.html#e-shaping

--
Martin A. Brown --- SecurePipe, Inc. --- [EMAIL PROTECTED]