It's a tennis-game on the LARTC list, Gustavo!  :)

 : > The question is not
 : > whether priorities are useless, but rather, how often do you expect
 : > your link to be congested?
 :
 : Good point... and the answer is: allways.
 :
 : With the low DSL uploads available a single connection will
 : saturate it - we currently have 20Mbs/400kbps (!) services, for
 : example.

Strange ratio--20 to 1, but I don't know a great deal about DSL
provisioning.

 : Meanwhile, I just finished my first trial on this approach. The
 : result is here:
 :
 : http://downloads.angulosolido.pt/QoS/PRIO_shaper.sh
 :
 : For SSH interactive traffic and Web Browsing while uploading and
 : downloading, seems to work as well as HTB_shaper, it tested on a
 : single machine.
 :
 : Of course there is no fairness on each prio band, so tests with
 : multiple workstations should reveal the advantadges of
 : HTB_shaper.

Well, good luck with it.  You could consider following the lartc.org
HOWTO on PRIO qdiscs with embedded SFQs [0].

 : > I'm not crazy about the dropping of the MTU, but otherwise,
 :
 : I found that it was causing problems, so that part is gone.

While it's not a bad idea from a traffic control perspective, there
are so many ramifications of changing the MTU that I don't find it
worthwhile.

 : (OT: I wonder, if the kernel team doesn't want to include IMQ,
 : what's their recommended solution for this problem, on a router
 : with more than 2 interfaces)

The developers have recently been working on something called ifb,
which is intended to be a replacement for IMQ.  I don't know too
much about it, but there are snippets of documentation about the
'net if you are on good terms with google.

- -Martin

 [0] http://lartc.org/howto/lartc.qdisc.classful.html#AEN903

- --
Martin A. Brown