Hello,

I am interested in optimizing TCP/IP throughput in LabVIEW.  I am
looking to send data between two systems at rates around 20-30mbps on
a dedicated 100base-t ethernet connection.  All data needs to reach
the other side w/o loss.  I have a few questions with regard to
accomplishing this.

1. <b>Proper use of the Built-in TCP Vis:</b> When sending data
between two systems, what is the best manner?  I have 50KB arrays of
data that I need to move from one system to the next and have been
wondering whether or not I need to packetize this, making multiple
calls to the TCP/IP =93write=94 function, or whether it's better to just
make the call with the full 20-50KB buffer?  Does LabVIEW handle this
for the user?  What is the most efficient way to do it?

2. <b>Built-in Limits:</b> I have seen references to LabVIEW's TCP
buffer size being limited to 32KB, is this correct?  Is it more
efficient to make direct calls to windows DLLs?

See this discussion thread:

<a
href=3D"http://exchange.ni.com/servlet/ProcessRequest?RHIVEID=3D101&RPAGEID=
=3D135&HOID=3D506500000008000000719C0000">transfering
data with TCP </a>

Additionally, I've seen another thread where it was mentioned that
there was an =93improved=94 set of TCP/IP VIs.

http://www.sheldoninst.com/support.html

As mentioned in this discussion thread:
<a
href=3D"http://exchange.ni.com/servlet/ProcessRequest?RHIVEID=3D101&RPAGEID=
=3D135&HOID=3D50650000000800000012940000">200ms
delay in windows tcp ip - how to work around? </a>

Has any one had any experience with these?

Again, has anyone had any experience using LabVIEW to send data over
the network at these rates?

3. <b>Protocols:</b> Are there any protocols that will allow for
transfer at these rates?  OPC? Modbus TCP? I don't mind creating one,
but I'd rather not reinvent the wheel.

System information:
Both systems will be running Windows XP SP1 on P4 processors with lots
of RAM, so lots of processing power.  The network will be going
through either a crossover cable or a dedicated switch, with these
computers being the only devices attached to it.

One final question, would it make a difference if I went up to gigabit
Ethernet?  What throughput have people managed on gigabit connections?

Thanks,
Adam