On Fri, 28 Jul 2023, Mattias Gaertner via lazarus wrote:

On 28.07.23 13:42, Michael Van Canneyt via lazarus wrote:

On Fri, 28 Jul 2023, Alexey Torgashin via lazarus wrote:

Objection duly noted.

Yes, 'Unicode RTL' sounds very bad. Before it was Unicode too. So, "UTF16 RTL", "WideChar RTL" or so.

The "Unicode" refers to String = UnicodeString.

The latter has been in use for what, 15-20 years ?

...wrong for 20 years.

The name is chosen to remain consistent with existing terminology.

It seems, it was chosen because it is easier to pronounce than UTF16 RTL.

No, see below (or above).

Naming something Unicode without adding any new Unicode feature can hardly be called consistent.

As I wrote, the "Unicode" refers to String = UnicodeString. In that sense it is 'consistent with existent terminology'

That the original terminology "unicodestring" is badly chosen,
see first line in the feature list:

https://delphi.embarcadero.com/project/delphi-2009/

So complaints to CodeGear, please.

But if all these terribly unhappy and depressed users have a better name, I'm
all ears.

So far, nothing catchy has been offered.

We'll attribute this lack of creativity to the state of depression due to
having to use such awful and horrifying terminology for ~15 years ;-)

Michael.