Henry Vermaak wrote:

It's always worked fine for me on things like NSLU-2 provided that the
overall memory (i.e. RAM + swap) is at least 512Mb. It will be unfortunate
if recent builds of FPC and/or Lazarus have pushed this requirement upwards,
but so far I've not seen any problems on a Raspberry Pi (both 1 and 2)
running Raspbian or Debian.

Yes, I remember that the slug needed swap.  Swap is painfully slow,
though, so I'd recommend reducing ld's memory usage instead.  I wonder
if anyone has tried the gold linker.  It was supposed to be faster, I
don't know about memory usage.

Lazarus took a week to build, but would do so reliably. That sort of performance takes me back to my mainframe days :-)

It does occur to me that this could be something to do with the way that the linker has been built, i.e. not strictly a Lazarus (or makefile etc.) problem.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk