> I myself dont use desktop icons but I can relate why they might me
> nice... (like immediately being visible after logging in, freely
> positionable)
>
> if I had a larger screen, they might be actually useful, but as-is, they
> are _always_ covered by about >= 5 full screen windows, so I wouldnt see
> them either way :)

Docked lauch icons from the bottom bar are nice, since they are at the bottom
of the screen
on a bar ready for you to click, without the waste of text space, which regular
desktop
icons and menus have.
I rarely use desktop icons but always use docked launch style icons. KDE and
Winblows have
them on the bottom bar. I'd like a window manager like windowmaker to have
them. Not sure if
there are already some light window managers out there that do have them?