Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho wrote:
You don't need a Firefox API to do this. Just send the shell command:
"mozilla-firefox www.google.com" and if firefox is already open, it
will open the page without opening a new instance. I tested here, try
on your command line with firefox already open. If you want it to open
a new instance, there is probably a command line switch for this.

Note that FireFox has an option under Tools -> Options ... -> Tabs about what
to do when 'links are opened from other applications': new window, new tab in most
recent window, or most recent window/tab. (But as far as I know, FireFox does not
start a separate process.)

Personally I favor the first two options above the last one, as I don't like
the webpage I'm visiting to disappear suddenly because it is replaced by a page
opened by some app. On the other hand, if the app is opening pages occasionally
-- like the help function in Lazarus -- it would be nice if the app would have
a 'private' window/tab it can reuse time over time (perhaps identified by some
ID code on the command line). I'm afraid this isn't possible with the current
FireFox, and that in fact an internal html viewer or embedded browser would be
more suitable for such a job.

Regards,

Bram