On 12/05/06, Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hello,

On 5/11/06, Alexandre Leclerc <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Yes, odt files & al. are open format. And as of 1 may 2006 it is now
> an official ISO 26300 approved format (as other format like PDF and
> HTML who are also ISO approved).

Ok, Open Document is good, but it has some problems:

1 - We cannot just get dependent on Open Office. It´s a huge
dependency, and won´t work on wince for example.

2 - Whatever the format is, I would like to be able to write my own
viewer for it. It may be very hard to write a viewer for odt. For
viewing HTML (or HTML extracted from a CHM or CHM-Like file) there is
a lot of stuff ready.

thanks,
--
Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho

I think OpenOffice 2.x has some excellent ideas in there help system.
I found a
110 page pdf document explaining the internal workings of the help system.
[ http://documentation.openoffice.org/online_help/index.html ]
There is even a Import/Export filter for OpenOffice to generate the
help file format, so you can author your help in OpenOffice (and get
spellcheck and formatting for free).

I'm still busy reading the document, so ain't sure what exact format
they use inside the *.jar files (html, straight xml or odt ...) and
what viewer they use for the help.  They do use the Berkeley Database
for indexes, keywork search and extended tooltips.

I would suggest some of you read that PDF as well so we can extract
all good ideas.

Regards,
 - Graeme -

--