Does anybody know if there is a similar tool to MWSnap but for Linux?
Or how I could write such a tool using Free Pascal/Lazarus?

The feature I am really looking for is the "Any area" snap mode.  When
you select that snapping mode, you can then draw a rectangle anywhere
on the screen/desktop and it will snap that rectangle to
file/clipboard.

At the moment under Ubuntu, I can take a full screen or full window
screenshot.  I then need to open Gimp so I can crop the image to only
show the specific area of interrest.  MWSnap with the "Any Area" mode
does all this in a single step.

MWSnap
http://www.mirekw.com/winfreeware/mwsnap.html

Regards,