Am Montag, den 02.10.2006, 19:27 +0100 schrieb Kris Leech:
> Nice idea but I want everything to be in one file for
> deployment/versioning purposes as well as having the option of using
> encryption. All files put in to the SFS can be encrypted on the fly.
> I would also need to keep a copy of everything on the RAM disk as 'real'
> files anyway incase the server crashed to prevent data loss.

How about scientific file formats like NetCDF or HDF5?

NetCFD:
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/

HDF:
http://hdf.ncsa.uiuc.edu/index.html

Both are oriented towards atomic data types on different platforms
(endianness, size), but they do offer (at least hdf5 does) the
possibility to structure single files internally into "groups" and
"datasets" (speaking in hdf5 terms) and a group can have nested groups.
So this is a file system. If ordinary files are looked at as array of
byte it may fit your needs.

Marc