> On Tue, 12 Dec 2006 11:20:45 +0100
> Ale? Katona <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > > Which library would people suggest for this? Should I go for it,
> > > would it be ok to use Indy or is there someother better / more
> > > stable / supported lib for Lazarus?
> > First, you should know that as the author of LNet I'm biased towards
> > it but I'll try to stay factual.
> >
> > 1. Synapse and Indy both work on Linux and Windows, as tested, but
> > that's it. I'm not saying they DON'T work on eg: freeBSD but there
> > needs to be testing done to confirm this in the least. LNet works on
> > most common fpc platforms and is tested atleast to an extent.
>
> At least synapse even works under MacOSX PowerPC and Intel. So, FreeBSD
> should work too, but I didn't try. It uses the fpc socket units.

Indy is now also tested on FreeBSD/x86 for 2.1.1 but requires a trivial mod
in the current indy code (a typecast of a threadid in one position)

For Mac/PPC I did a test with the Indy after the 2.1.1 fix, but it didn't
work. I suspect some endianness trouble though. Maybe next weekend I'll
invest some time in testing this.

64-bit support is untested by me, but afaik JP Mugaas invested some time. I
don't know the exact status.

> > 2. Indy is rather huge. I'm not sure how much of an issue this could
> > be but it might not be a good idea to throw it's weight around.

Indy is huge, and has some overhead. OTOH it is in the same scale as e.g.
the LCL, and doesn't impact working with it much. More importantly, it makes
its ease of use, specially after an initial getting-used-to period quite
easy.

Because of this I'd use Indy unless I have special requirements. (e.g. I
perse want LNet's support for sendfile/kqueue etc)

> > 3. LNet has it's issues too. It's not yet 100% stable and even API can
> > change sometimes. On the other hand you got me to kick in the arse and
> > fix the stuff :)

What I have seen of it, Indy has more ease of use.