As Michael said, you can cover a very huge range of systems if you
distribute an i386 and AMD64 version. (But you should have in mind, that
there are also some people with other architectures...) Most
closed-source applications for Linux are only available for these (for
example Google Earth and others), Opera for example still also provides
a version for PPC. (I, as a Linux/PPC user, am a little bit frustaded
about the situation, that I cannot use Flash, Google Earth, official ATI
drivers, ...)

If you distribute a Windows application, you normaly also only
distribute a i386 version of it.
Some times ago, there was also an Alpha (I think it was Alpha...)
version of Windows NT available. And perhaps, ReactOS will be ported to
other platforms. :)
(Just to point out, that you have with a closed-source distributed
application the same possible range.)

But as an Open Source developer, I surely recommend you to distribute
the source. :)
And you are right: Only if you distribute the source, you can ensure,
that your application will run nearly everywhere.