Hi,

I was surfing wikipedia and I found a good reason why not to use
UCS-2. It seams to be prohibited to distribute software in mainland
china that only partially supports the chinese characters (like is the
case for UCS-2).

Source:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GB18030

"In a move of historic significance for software supporting Unicode,
the PRC decided to mandate support of certain code points outside the
BMP. This means that software can no longer get away with treating
characters as 16 bit fixed width entities (UCS-2). Therefore they must
either process the data in a variable width format (such as UTF-8 or
UTF-16), which are the most common choices, or move to a larger fixed
width format (such as UCS-4 or UTF-32). Microsoft made the change from
UCS-2 to UTF-16 with Windows 2000."

Of course, if your don't plan on distributing software on China, this
is irrelevant, but a general purpose library needs to take this into
account.

--
Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho