Marco van de Voort wrote:
Being generic database support (allows to have generic code to talk to
databases, without having the database layout in some structure form
compiled in), COM support, or PHP (www.stack.nl/~marcov/phpser.zip )

They were never meant to be used as normal variables.
Quite agree. It is hard to see how you could do database support without them, with out using truly ridiculous levels of overloading. I can't see any (sensible) way of doing a key search on a complex key without passing an array of variants. On the the other hand, I never use them if I can avoid them. For example, I would always typecast a TField to a specific field type and use the value property rather than use the AsVariant property of a generic TField if I knew the Field type.

cheers,
John Sunderland