On Nov 30, 2007, at 3:11 AM, Warren Postma wrote:

I couldn't get the pre-built binary of Lazarus to run on Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard). First the installer put the files somewhere invisible to the finder, so I couldn't start up by clicking any mac App icon. Secondly, even when I found lazarus.app and did "open lazarus.app" from terminal, it crashed saying it can't find some resources. I tried all different kinds of paths and working folders with no luck.

So then I tried to install from subversion. I got the svn stuff checked out and it builds up until it dies linking, missing library glib. So then I tried to get fink onto my system, because I realized I need glib. Fink built and installed, and apt-get is there and works but there's no glib package in apt-get. Do I have to edit my sources.list or something, to find whatever fink-repository it is that contains the glib packages? I had to build fink using the bootstrap from source shell script because according to the finkmeisters, the binary fink releases available on the web don't work with leopard.

Ain't it fun being on the bleeding edge?

Fink does not work well on Leopard (not at all for me...). You can use MacPorts and personally I prefer it. It is more up-to-date. I always had problems when using Fink as far I remember. The available snapshots work well under leopard in GTK1. However the app produces from time to time a bad request to X11 and directly quit (and afaik you cannot produce a backtrace). Under GTK2 as previously posted images are strangely displayed. I have difficulties to compile lazarus using QT. The best is the carbon widgetset, but it is still quite difficult to use the code editor.

With MacPorts, you nearly only of this :
# sudo port install gdk-pixbuf
# sudo port install gdk2

In the same time I suggest you to install coreutils.

You can use both, Fink is by default in /sw and MacPorts in /opt/. But it is better to remove (or move) the /sw folder and to replace it with a symbolic link to opt like this :
# cd /
# sudo ln -s /opt sw

To get the carbon Interface, you can use this :
http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Carbon_Interface
But I prefer the command line :
# make clean all LCL_PLATFORM=carbon FPC=fpc OPT="-k'-framework' - k'carbon'"

To get the GTK2 Interface, use this :
http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/GTK2_Interface

Here is a script I made to fast recompile Lazarus (changes are necessary / I only use snapshots for now under OS X):

#!/bin/sh

path="/usr/local/share/lazarus"

sudo chown -R milipili:wheel "${path}"
cd "${path}"

widgetset="$1"

if [ "$widgetset" = 'gtk2' ]; then
make clean all LCL_PLATFORM=gtk2 FPC=fpc OPT="@/Users/milipili/ Projects/lazarus/gimplib.cfg"
    exit 0
fi
if [ "$widgetset" = 'gtk' -o "$widgetset" = 'gtk1' ]; then
    make clean all LCL_PLATFORM=gtk FPC=fpc
    exit 0
fi
if [ "$widgetset" = 'carbon' ]; then
make clean all LCL_PLATFORM=carbon FPC=fpc OPT="-k'-framework' - k'carbon'"
    exit 0
fi

echo " Specify the widgetset : gtk, gtk2, carbon"

--
Damien Gerard
[EMAIL PROTECTED]