Giuliano Colla wrote:
Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho ha scritto:
On Jan 23, 2008 2:08 AM, Giuliano Colla <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
The test isn't by me, but by someone who complained about z-order in
gtk2 not being correct. A lot of time ago.
I know, it's voluntary work, everybody does its best. We take what's
available, and thank. But please don't tell me that gtk2 can be taken in
consideration for anything else than a specific project carried on by a
Lazarus developer, who knows enough the internals to fix the widgets he
needs.

And what do you plan to do about it?

Try and convince Lazarus developers to follow a route which makes it possible for a lot of people like me to actively contribute instead of just feeling helpless and whine.

What route do you suggest ?

What I mean is very simple: I have to get to work at 7:30 and come
back at 21:00. Why would I use my spare time to hunt for the endless,
arbitrary bugs in the gtk2 interface? And my experience with the
gtk/gtk2 interface is enougth to say it ain't particularly fun to work
endless hours to fix small bugs on that spaguetti code, which often
ends up without any fix.

That's the point. Attempting to fix z-order in GTK2, which is a minimum requirement in order to make a real world application work, requires to study gtk2 in detail.

Whatever model you come up with, be it native contols or customdrawn controls, as soon as there is a bug on OS/widget level, you need to understand that level.

Moreover you may be forced to modify something in LCL, which will doubtless break gtk1, Qt, Carbon, windows, WINCE etc. (I see it happen every day) So you must study gtk1 in detail (loss of time because gtk1 is long dead), Qt, Carbon (I don't have a Mac), windows API's etc. It's above me. And apparently above Lazarus team.

Now you're taking the extreme route, this doesn't happen that often. However if there is a bug in the LCL it needs to be fixed. It's to noones advantage that every widgetset has to work around tose bugs.

Still we are happy to receive patches aginst gtk2+lcl in this case. It may only take longer before things are applied since more ppl are involved to fix other widgetsets.

That's why
I claim that the "native widget" route is a dead end.

That's your claim, not ours.

If the bug is annoying you, then *you* should do something about it =)
If all users use the approach: Oh, I'll test now and wait 3 months and
test again, then they are all risking that in 3 months there won't be
any change to what they wanted changed.

See above. If something is within my reach, I attempt to fix it. If it's above my reach I can only whine.

You can also help with small testcases and such exactly pinpointing the problem. Whining won't help anyone, only you loose. (I will certainly not inspire me to help you)

If you don't plan on doing anything about it, then I say it's not that
annoying for you, because it's not annoying enougth to make you do
something about it =)

What *I* plan to do is to take alternative, more viable routes, but it's a pity. I just hopr that my alternatives can somehow fit into Lazarus, so that I can contribute them.

Thank you.

Marc