On Jan 28, 2008 2:05 AM, willem <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Trolltech gets acquired by Nokia.
>
> The key motivation of Nokia is CrossPlatform development.
> That also a kyey interest of Lazarus.
> So I think the Qt interface is becoming more important in the future.
>
> Regards Wim

Well, it's not quite official yet. 90% of shareholders still have to
approve the deal and only 66% have so far, and it has to get
regulatory approval as well. But it looks like it's just a formality
at this point, and they say it will be completed some time in the
second quarter.

As for the cross-platform motivation, this is probably true but not
because of the desktop platforms. I believe Nokia is much more
interested in Qtopia (the embedded version of Qt).

Now, as to what this means for Qt's future, I don't know. Remember
what happened to BeOS when it was acquired by Palm? I have a gut
feeling that Nokia is not so interested in the open source side of
things regardless of what they may say in press releases, and will try
to close that aspect up as soon as it can. As I recall, Trolltech only
made Qt open source very reluctantly and only after much pressure from
linux open-source advocates. The Windows GPL version is still pretty
restrictive. I now expect the current version of Qt to be the last
GPL'd version, although a fork seems likely at this point which will
probably be lead by the KDE team.