el stamatakos wrote:
Hi,
 I am working with a database and I am doing the following
tFile:string; tFileName:=mainForm.SQLQuery1.FieldValues['tFileName']; where tFileName is in a database and is a string. I keep getting a EVariant error on this line. Is there any way to force mainForm.SQLQuery1.FieldValues['tFileName'] to return a string or at least be less restrictive so as to run with a warning. Any ways around this would be very helful. Thanks Lefti
Hi Lefti,

Is the first declaration meant to be tFileNAME: String ? If not, what is tFileName ?

I presume you have a field called "tFileName" ?

ps. You nay have a good reason for the names tFileName and tFile, but it seems to me you are asking for confusion, because they look so much like types. TFileName was a type (string[80} ?) somewhere back in the borland pascal or early Delphi days, I don't know if it is still defined.

cheers,
John Sunderland