Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho ha scritto:
On Feb 11, 2008 8:21 AM, Vincent Snijders <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
You do not get true console applications under Windows, because all
windows installations have a GUI installed.
All Mac OS X installations too. :-)

Actually Macs have a server edition and althougth I never saw that I
think it doesn't have a gui:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xserve

Nope. Take a look at the Getting Started Manual:

http://images.apple.com/server/macosx/docs/Getting_Started_v10.5.pdf

The idea of just point and click is originally an Apple idea. It was part of the idea "one computer if each house", which was revolutionary for the time!

Also, I read somewhere that Microsoft recently launched or at least
made a beta of a new revolutionary Windows Server.

The great inovation? It doesn't have a GUI, so it's more stable

Knowing a bit Redmond people, I'm afraid it's MSDos based! ;-)

Having said that I have also seen Linux and FreeBSD servers with GUI
(KDE) running 24/7. I personally think the technicians were lazy, but
it seamed to work well.

Our Linux based company servers have KDE running 24/7, so that unskilled people can check daily backups, and do other minor things, clicking on a few dedicated icons on the desktop. No problem whatsoever. Uptime depends only on kernel updates.

Giuliano

--
Giuliano Colla

Whenever people agree with me, I always feel I must be wrong (O. Wilde)