From: Armindo
Sent: Thursday, June 08, 2006 5:11 PM
Subject: Re: [Lcms-user] Problem with Printer on Network

Hi Marti,

Nice to ear you.

The problem may come from photoshop or the Dosplay profile.
Someone told me that to have a very close color between Display and print outputs, some printer manufacturer take in acount the display profile.
Also this customer has photoshop on every PC and each PC has different monitors...
Do you know what doesn photoshop do if you want to adjust the display settings (inside adobe product) ?

Is there a tool that can list all the profiles used by a PC (monitor, scanner,  and each prodile used by each printer) ?

thanks

Armindo

Hi Armindo, nice to talk with you again :-)

>When I print some color patches on it from 5
> different PCs, with EXACTLY the
>same settings and same color profile,
>I see some color difference on the printed results

Ah, workflow problems. I strongly believe this
is *the* real issue on today's color management.
Double-color management, inconsistent paths,
different profiles... a nightmare.

Ok, I cannot spot where the problem is, but here
are some clues. Thay have been very useful to
me in past.

1) Trust nothing. Check each driver, profile, etc. Even
if the filename and UI look is same, maybe the
profile and driver are different.

2) pinpoint the path. This technique is very effective
when one tries to find which profile/intent is being applied.

ICC gives a "probe profile" here:

http://www.color.org/probeprofile.html

This is a fake profile that adds a  huge tint, which is of
different color on depending on intent being used.
So, just replace the output profile with this one and do
some prints. If the workflow is configured correctly, every
print should come with same tint color. I guess you will
be surprised by results.

3) Isolate wrong branches. If you have a
colorimeter/spectrophotometer,  print some patches and
measure them. Isolate the parts of the network that produces
bad results. If the workflow is complex enough, maybe is not
worth of understanding each step. Remember, you want good
results. A proper setup would be nice, but you final goal are
good results.

Hope this helps

Cheers,
Marti.