Greetings!

        I have been working solo to convert our department from using NIS
        to LDAP for some time (far too long), and I have been trying to be
        careful about service disruption once the changes happen.  So far
        I have found this list very helpful (as well as other resources) in
        tackling the problems.

        However,  the one problem that may be a big issue for me are MD5
        passwords are stored currently and how I am going to import them
        into the LDAP from NIS. I have read up a bit of the history of this,
        and I thought I followed the advice I read in the archives, but
        something is still not right for me here.

        Insight would be appreciated

        Currently, our NIS database stores it's passwords in this
        format:

        $1$DHereAreLotsOLettersAndNumbers.

        I would love to be able to drop that right into the ldap object
        for the user. However I do see the way it's working for me now,
        slappasswd -h "{MD5}"  generates passwords that look like this:

        {MD5}AFewLessLettersAndNumber

        I have read in the archives that I have to change the order that
        certain libraries are compiled. But things don't work if I use
        ldapmodify to change a users password

userPassword: {MD5}AFewLessLettersAndNumber

userPassword: {MD5}$1$DHereAreLotsOLettersAndNumbers.

        Is this the part I have messed up, or is there something else that
        I am missing completely?

        Or, is it the solution is already there in the archives and I haven't
        found it yet?

jim craig

---
You are currently subscribed to ldap@umich.edu as: [EMAIL PROTECTED]