At 2002-01-17 18:37 +0100, Ewald Wasscher wrote:
>Mike Noyes wrote:
>>Here is a revised version of my previous post.
>>
>>We need to make some changes to our handling of individual developer
>>content. We are running out of space on the shell server. SF only
>>allocates a maximum of approximately 1G of space on the shell server. Our
>>devel tree is currently using 772M.
>>
>>Proposed changes:
>>Kernels shall only be provided in tarball format.
>
>This is a pain if someone only needs a module for e.g. a nic. This would
>require downloading 5M when you only need a 15k module. Perhaps obsolete
>kernels could be removed? Charles seems to have 186M of kernels/modules,
>and only the 2.2.19-3 kernel has all known security holes fixed, so the
>others shouldn't be used anyway.

Ewald,
Thanks for the feedback. :-)

I thought about your suggestion, and I agree that some of the older content
could be removed. It is available from our files area [1], so the content
in the devel tree on the shell server is redundant. However, your
suggestion is harder to use as a policy. I believe there are differing
opinions as to what current means for a kernel. Am I mistaken?

Developers can always place expanded kernels in their personal tree [2] in
our cvs repository. Binary files should download properly from ViewCVS
provided the -kb sticky tags are set. So, single module downloads would
still be possible.

[1] http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=13751
[2] http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/leaf/devel/

--