Hi Folks

After building kernels many times these few days I am a bit annoyed by
the missing dependencies in our buildtool, e.g. after modifying a
Bering-something.cdiff I cannot just build kernel and it will just build
the something (sub)arch by honoring all the dependencies. This makes
development a pain in the butt.

I am trying to understand the makefiles for multiple subarchs and in
some cases I am just wondering why obvious dependencies are not even
respected.

For example in the .configured target in linux/buildtool.mk there is no
dependency on the corresponding .cdiff file. So all the targets are
built instead of just the modified one.

The recipe builds a linux-something directory and copies the
config-something into linux-something/.config

So we should have a dependency from config-something to
linux-something/.config and hence a dependency from
linux-something/.config to staging/../boot/linux-something. Nothing of
this sort has been implemented making recompiling a PITA.

I won't have much time implementing this in the near term but this is
something TODO.

cheers

ET