Hi KP

Am 03.04.2016 um 14:06 schrieb kp kirchdoerfer:
> Hi Erich;

>> /etc/hosts
>
> I think this will not help in terms of user friendliness...

No it won't but it would at least be correct

>> So everything can remain as is, but that does not make the LEAF software
>> any better. From my past experience in product management and support it
>> is always worth to make software user friendly. If you think that the
>> lrcfg menu is adapted to the year 2016, please rethink.
>
> lrcfg is known to work as it has matured over years, on the other hand it
> shows it's age.

I can see mold all over :-)

> If something new and fancy is needed, it can be added as lrcfg-ng, but it
> should stay (mostly) as-is, until something better catches up with lrcfg and
> provide enhancements.

I believe we need a real good interface which does not depend on
terminal sessions anymore. Most embedded systems have a terminal
session, which at least can somehow be enabled but you can achieve most,
if not all, of the configuration on a more recent user interface.

> IMHO providing a good and  up-to-date documentation with how-to's one can
> follow step-by-step etc will help users more than anything else to get his
> tasks done.
>
> You see preferences, how to make LEAF user friendly, vary and seems to be
> bound to personal habits, how one tries to  solve a task/problem.
>
> None of us is wrong or right though.

It is not a question of being wrong or right. Computer interfaces have
changed since the sixties, but they are still von Neumann machines.

As I said, I hardly ever use lrcfg. I just went on an exploratory trip
and some of the roadsigns just did not match. I don't want to work on
lrcfg because I think it is a thing of the past. I might work on some of
the webconf interfaces if I find time in the next few months, but of
course, things I consider necessary are on top of the list, others will
go unnoticed. I still believe though that a good package should provide
a good user interface and just calling an editor is IMHO plain lame.

cheers

ET