George Metz wrote:

> On Sun, 8 Apr 2001, Ewald Wasscher wrote:
>
>> When I put this kernel on a working Eigerstein2Beta floppy, linuxrc
>> cannot mount the floppy so it won't load any lrp packages.
>> With DEBUGGING and VERBOSE turned on in linuxrc it says for example:
>>
>> Mounted /dev/fd0u1680 as shm
>>
>> But when I put my own 2.4.3 or 2.2.19 kernels on the disk that is:
>>
>> Mounted /dev/fd0u1680 as msdos
>>
>> And packages are loaded just fine.
>

> Oh wow. That'll teach me to compile when I'm tired.
>
> Okay gang, skip the kernel, I need to do a recompile. Forgot to include
> support for MS-DOS filesystems.

LOL.

Perhaps you could compile iptables support as a kernel module. That way
someone who wants an easy upgrade path can (temporarily) use the
ipchains module. Perhaps you could also add a few patches from iptables'
patch-o-matic too. There might be some people (like me) who absolutely
need the ftp-multi-patch  (damm ABNAMRO home banking),. or just want irc
functionality. I have been running Tom Eastep's shorewall on a 2.4.3
kernel for a few days this week, and haven't experienced any problems
with the pending-patches+ftp-multi+ftp-pasv+eggdrop patches applied
Don't include those patches just for me as I will compile my own kernel
anyway.

Ewald Wasscher

P.S. If I'm right the lrp package of shorewall is broken as "shorewall"
is 9 characters long and doesn't fit the 8.3 msdos filenames on lrp boot
floppies.