arne @ loopback . org wrote:

>On Mon, Jan 28, 2002 at 07:52:06AM +0100, Ewald Wasscher wrote:
>
>>arne @ loopback . org wrote:
>>
>>>Hi,
>>>
>>>sourceforge/leaf. Note that this is not complete, it does not build a real
>>>working root.lrp yet,
>>>
>>Too bad, that was what I was hoping to see.
>>

>Yes, me too ;-)
>I am working on it, but as my priority is finding a new job right now, i am
>not sure how much time i can spend on it in the next few weeks :(

That's a pity, I wish you luck finding a job.

>>>stuff from src.tgz into your src dir (e.g. /usr/src) go into it, become root
>>>(needed for some install scripts) ,
>>>
>>Perhaps we should consider the use of fakeroot for the "next-generation"
>>leaf, to avoid this. Anyone an opinion?
>>

>Yes this might be a way, of course. But the main problem is that there is
>time when this will fail, especially creating the real root install dir (
>the root.lrp) which has to be done as root to get the right permissions.
>expecially for tinylogin which needs to be suid root.. Or do i
>missunderstand fakeroot here ??

I haven't worked with fakeroot a lot, but AFAIK it was designed exactly
for the purpose of building (.deb) packages completely as a non-root
user. It isn't a big download, so you could pick it up from debian or
rpmfind and have a look at the manpage.

>>>and make a
>>>./makeit make and go out for lunch. If you do that its a good idea to
>>>redirect the output to a file...
>>>After that use ./makeit install to install the stuff into build/root
>>>you find the scripts for making/cleaning in src/scripts all binaries in
>>>src/build/ ...
>>>
>>I will have a look at it,
>>

>Thanks, all binaries should be installed correctly,

Execpt that I didn't have kernel sources where iproute2 expected them.

>there are some scripts
>missing that are not copyied, though.

Have you ever taken a look at an Erik-Andersen-ish buildroot like the
tuxscreen-buildroot, the UML-uClibc buildroot? These are all makefiles,
and download the missing source-tarballs needed. It looks quite elegant
to me.

Ewald Wasscher.