Serge Caron wrote:

> Hello Matt,
>
> First, the important stuff:
>
> >or any of us lacked passion.  That's kind of insulting.  And what
>
> Please accept a direct apology from me to you for no other reason than the
> fact that your feelings were hurt.

No problem, my feelings weren't hurt.  I was stating a fact.  You
called this list ho-hum, and that's an opinion devoid of any basis
in fact.  You contrasted this ho-humness with the passion reflected
in MDS's posts.  We don't deserve to be on the opposite side of that
contrast, despite your limited analysis to the contrary.  You're
apparent willingness to describe your credentials is contrasted by
your lack of doing your homework concerning the depth of commitment
of the other users and the list's current state in history.  May I
suggest you backtrack a couple of years and read the Linux Router
Project mailing list archive on Geocrawler, following the development
and disposition of that group to here.  You'll find peaks and valleys,
great posts and tragic happenings.

  The history is rich and colorful, and the current group dynamic has
never been better.  What some people may not see is that we're functioning
at a less than obvious level due mainly to the fact that so many people
have already done such a fantastic job and and find they need to multitask
more clocks to the rest of their life -- seeing that many LEAF parts
work well, for all intents and purposes.  So Joe User comes along & wants
this option or that option?........ bam.  They got it.  Someone updates
ssh?....bam.... it's done.

That's 97X...... bam...... the future of rock and roll.

> >  It's plenty interesting to read your threads and see the breadth
> >of your opinions.  I've said before that it's always refreshing to
>
> Thank you. Please DO NOT PUT your flame thrower away!

Roger that.  I've been bad lately, though.  Must follow golden rule
more.  Did you catch my essay on Basic PC Architecture in the
"802.11/pcmcia/ide" thread on leaf-user?

> >exactly happened three weeks ago?  You showed up?  And you tore the low
> >level guts out of Dachstein and want to call that PacketFilter?  And
>
> My posts are polite and as factually true as I can make them.

Affirmative.  It was the tone that I made note of by quoting
your very words, the snippets of which, though taken out of
context, make for interesting reading.

> PacketFilter
> is a 60kb file that cannot contain Dachstein. If you read the manual,
> Charles is directly credited for allowing this 60kb file to be distributed
> with his stuff. Further, as pointed out to David elsewhere, I do not intend
> to make a distribution just for the purpose of providing an environment in
> wich to run PacketFilter. This leaves you with very little material to
> support your opinion that I want to promote a dumb filtering device to the
> level of Dachstein.

Mmmm, I don't know.  That last part sounds like you found an
opinion in my post about PacketFilter, its application, its
packaging, or what you want to do with it.  What I did was
bring up the question of it's originality and the veracity
of creating something less than original while promoting
that everyone adhere to it, even if it has some basis in fact.
I tried to collect your words for examination rather than pass
judgment on them.

> >you don't like our file structure and our documentation?  You think we
> >make "stupid decisions" in our "quaint little space" and that comlicates
> >your life?  Indeed.
> >

> As you acknowledged in the beginning of your message, you have collected
> things out of context. The onus is on you to support your comments.

Yes I quoted those out of context, and I think I got it right.
If I wanted to be more thorough, I could have included more context
and been fair enough to quote your showing respect for others.
You took jabs at things in this project and in ways that others
do not.  That sticks out.  I've been on enough lists with enough
classic unixers to have met up with this style of communication.
Though spicy, I have to yet to learn its benefit.  Others enjoy
discussing things with you due to your technical skill and fresh
view.  And I like reading some of it, but not when you offer up
your analysis of us in the tone I mentioned.

Regards,
Matt