At 2002-02-28 10:51 -0600, guitarlynn wrote:
>All of your concerns are well-founded and I approve of this line
>of consideration. However, when considering the wide availability
>of download mirrors and the format restrictions binding each of them,
>a different line of consideration will likely be required to mirror
>downloads. None of these download mirrors support full site/project
>mirroring that I am aware of.

I'll try to evaluate the available sites next week. If someone else would
like to do this, feel free. A few Open Source hosting sites are listed here:

http://dmoz.org/Computers/Open_Source/Hosting/
http://dmoz.org/Computers/Software/Operating_Systems/Linux/Projects/Hosting/

>I don't speak for anyone but myself, but what I was interpreting from
>David D's original idea was simply a possible way to mirror our
>download section. This would have no impact on the LEAF site itself or
>the way that it is run or formatted.

Maybe I confused the "Site Update (2002-02-27)" thread and this one. I
think David is proposing something much different than you do. I think he
is proposing a replacement for the /pub and /devel structure for our files.

David,
Would you please clarify your suggestion?

>Do you think that seperating out the releases under different names in
>a download mirror would seperate the release from the project?
>I doubt it personally.

Unknown, and this is what I'm concerned with. I continually try to present
our project as a cohesive whole. Separating things in this manner may lead
to fragmentation.

>Would seperating the releases from the site seperate them from the
>project? ... yes, I think this would.

I believe this would be equivalent to a lead developer deciding he/she no
longer wished to participate in LEAF at the release/branch level.

--
Mike Noyes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
http://sourceforge.net/users/mhnoyes/